Categories

Posts in this category

Thu, 07 Jun 2012

Localization for Exception Messages

Permanent link

Ok, my previous blog post wasn't quite as final as I thought.. My exceptions grant said that the design should make it easy to enable localization and internationalization hooks. I want to discuss some possible approaches and thereby demonstrate that the design is flexible enough as it is.

At this point I'd like to mention that much of the flexibility comes from either Perl 6 itself, or from the separation of stringifying and exception and generating the actual error message.

Mixins: the sledgehammer

One can always override a method in an object by mixing in a role which contains the method on question. When the user requests error messages in a different language, one can replace method Str or method message with one that generates the error message in a different language.

Where should that happen? The code throws exceptions is fairly scattered over the code base, but there is a central piece of code in Rakudo that turns Parrot-level exceptions into Perl 6 level exceptions. That would be an obvious place to muck with exceptions, but it would mean that exceptions that are created but not thrown don't get the localization. I suspect that's a fairly small problem in the real world, but it still carries code smell. As does the whole idea of overriding methods.

Another sledgehammer: alternative setting

Perl 6 provides built-in types and routines in an outer lexical scope known as a "setting". The default setting is called CORE. Due to the lexical nature of almost all lookups in Perl 6, one can "override" almost anything by providing a symbol of the same name in a lexical scope.

One way to use that for localization is to add another setting between the user's code and CORE. For example a file DE.setting:

my class X::Signature::Placeholder does X::Comp {
    method message() {
        'Platzhaltervariablen können keine bestehenden Signaturen überschreiben';
    }
}

After compiling, we can load the setting:

$ ./perl6 --target=pir --output=DE.setting.pir DE.setting
$ ./install/bin/parrot -o DE.setting.pbc DE.setting.pir
$ ./perl6 --setting=DE -e 'sub f() { $^x }'
===SORRY!===
Platzhaltervariablen können keine bestehenden Signaturen überschreiben
at -e:1

That works beautifully for exceptions that the compiler throws, because they look up exception types in the scope where the error occurs. Exceptions from within the setting are a different beast, they'd need special lookup rules (though the setting throws far fewer exceptions than the compiler, so that's probably manageable).

But while this looks quite simple, it comes with a problem: if a module is precompiled without the custom setting, and it contains a reference to an exception type, and then the l10n setting redefines it, other programs will contain references to a different class with the same name. Which means that our precompiled module might only catch the English version of X::Signature::Placeholder, and lets our localized exception pass through. Oops.

Tailored solutions

A better approach is probably to simply hack up the string conversion in type Exception to consider a translator routine if present, and pass the invocant to that routine. The translator routine can look up the error message keyed by the type of the exception, and has access to all data carried in the exception. In untested Perl 6 code, this might look like this:

# required change in CORE
my class Exception {
    multi method Str(Exception:D:) {
        return self.message unless defined $*LANG;
        if %*TRANSLATIONS{$*LANG}{self.^name} -> $translator {
            return $translator(self);
        }
        return self.message; # fallback
    }
}

# that's what a translator could write:

%*TRANSLATIONS<de><X::TypeCheck::Assignment> = {
        "Typenfehler bei Zuweisung zu '$_.symbol()': "
        ~ "'{$_.expected.^name}' erwartet, aber '{$_.got.^name} bekommen"
    }
}

And setting the dynamic language $*LANG to 'de' would give a German error message for type check failures in assignment.

Another approach is to augment existing error classes and add methods that generate the error message in different languages, for example method message-fr for French, and check their existence in Exception.Str if a different language is requested.

Conclusion

In conclusion there are many bad and enough good approaches; we will decide which one to take when the need arises (ie when people actually start to translate error messages).

[/perl-6] Permanent link